Tuesday, October 9, 2012

We now return you to your regularly scheduled life…


This week has been crazy.  I left Friday after work to go spend the night at my parents’ house, and came home late Saturday night.  Sunday I had to fast and drink a bunch of nasty goo for a medical test on Monday.  Glad that’s over, no results yet.  Sunday, since I was avoiding food smells and therefore avoiding people who had to cook and eat, I spent some time sewing.  I don’t have a pic yet of what I sewed, but then it dawned on me, I didn’t post what I made the week before.

My philosophy is, never turn down a freebie.  It might not be what you want, but you can always pass it on to someone else, donate it, or use it for a different purpose.  That said, I was recently given 2 boxes of clothing.  In one box, most of the clothes fit and I liked them.  Two skirts, two pair of pants and a few shirts added to my work wardrobe, plus a few tees to be worn as PJs.  In the other box, not so much.  Most of it didn’t fit, those things that did fit didn’t look good on me, some were stained or torn.  But all is not lost!  I used one pair of pants as fabric to make a new pair for the kids.  They’re heather gray so either gender can wear them.  Drake will probably grow into them soon, and when he’s done Lyla can have them.  

When I finished that pair I remembered I had saved a pair of Allen’s sweat pants to use as fabric.  The elastic was shot and he was never going to wear them again.  I cut them down to make a pair of toddler sweatpants:
 
Notice how I carefully avoided the bleach spot.  Aren’t I clever.
 
Then I remembered some ribbon I had in my stash from a project a few years ago.  I’ve never done anything like this before but I decided to add the ribbon to the pants.  Due to my inexperience, the fabric rippled a little as I sewed on the ribbon.  OK, so it’s not perfect, but they can be worn as play clothes on a chilly day.  You cn'nt really tell here but the ribbon is yellow with pink dots.  Since the ribbon is a bit girly these will go straight to Lyla, although they might be too big for her this winter. 
 
I also made a dog toy.  I cut the legs of a pair of old jeans that were in the not-so-great box, here I’ve cut a long spiral strip:
 
And here, I tied knots in the strip:
 
So far Bug hasn‘t taken it upon himself to play with this on his own but he’s happy to tug-of-war with me if I start the game.              

No comments: