Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Macaroni and Squash


In the never-ending quest for recipes to feed my dairy-allergic people, I’m willing to try almost anything.  Some things work well, others, not so much.  One thing I’ve found that some of the non-allergic people enjoy, myself included, is a mac and cheese substitute made with butternut squash.  Pumpkin might work as well, or acorn squash, but I’ve always used butternut.  I cut and de-seed it first:


Then I roast it at 400 degrees til it’s nice and soft, this usually takes about 45 minutes.  Your mileage may vary.  Doesn’t this look yummy?!?!?!  Me, this squash, and a spoon.  That sounds like a fabulous idea.

 
Next stop, make a roux and thicken some chicken broth.  I use 2 tablespoons oil and 2 tablespoons flour per 1 cup of chicken broth.  For this recipe I used 3 cups broth, 1 pound of elbow macaroni, and half the squash.  I flavored the broth with garlic salt and a little bit of Italian seasoning.  I think poultry seasoning or sage might be good in this in place of the Italian seasoning but I haven’t tried it.  Once the chicken gravy is thickened I stir the mashed squash into it, and pour it over the cooked, drained noodles, then top with bread crumbs (totally optional but I always have a jar of homemade bread crumbs on hand).  Bake at 350 degrees for about 30 minutes.  Enjoy.
 
 

 
I made a regular pan of mac and cheese to go with this, one of our household is no fan of squash.  He’d have eaten it if that’s all there was available but I was stocking up for the next few days since I was going out of town, and I wanted to leave plenty of leftovers in the fridge. 
I don’t know where this idea came from.  I might have invented it, or I might not, I honestly don’t remember.  I made this for the first time about a year ago, and everyone who tasted it loved it.  Even my hubby, which surprised me.  It’s good with salad, or peas.    
    
And here’s the little allergic boy, looking adorable.  Everybody say "Awwww!"

No comments: